Breaking News

From sunflowers and sunsets to vineyard tours: A beginner’s bike holiday in the south of France

From sunflowers and sunsets to vineyard tours

My toxic tendency is agreeing to things without carefully considering them.

Most recently, I did it when a friend recommended a point-to-point cycling trip in France.

I'm in, I said. I didn't give it any further consideration until the week before the trip - and then was surprised to discover that I had to cycle 180km in three days!

You see, I'm a runner, not a cyclist. What about my posterior? Also, what about the hills and the equipment, and not knowing one end of a chain from the other?

I clenched my teeth, bought a pair of cycling shorts and held my breath...

Riding a state-of-the-art bicycle powered by an electric motor makes navigating between the Ardèche and the Drôme regions more convenient.

to the south.

The train network in the town includes both high-speed TGV trains and local trains at the main railway station.

I put on the cushioned cycling shorts and walked out to meet my dependable e-bike, just like a rugged cowboys do. The sturdy e-bike was a capable companion, the saddle was surprisingly comfortable, and the two side bags provided ample space to carry all my belongings, thanks to not having checked a luggage.

Day one was our first challenge: We had 60 kilometers ahead of us to cover. The initial 10 kilometers was an opportunity to get accustomed to the terrain, which consisted mainly of wide, paved paths and bridges that crossed the Rhône in multiple places.

charging point.

As I sank my teeth into my Toulouse sausage and went on to enjoy 'cirque', a local twist on potato rosti, a sudden downpour approached.

No matter what the weather is like, you have to push through and reach your destination for the day, or you may end up without a place to stay.

We kept our heads down and tacitly agreed to move as quickly as possible.

It was invigorating and certainly set the pace for the trip, but after a couple of hours of raindrops hitting my face, I was delighted to arrive at the Hotel Medieval in Rochemaure.

This is one of several ViaRhôna accommodations catering to cyclists for overnight stays, providing charging stations for more than ten e-bikes and - a welcome luxury - a private bath in each room. It’s ideal for unwinding after a long afternoon of getting thoroughly wet.

Exploring the heart of France: Rochemaure to Mornas reveals sunflowers, quaint villages, and golden cliffs

We were biking on a bridge hidden in the morning mist and continued south along the Rhône - with a 68 km cycle ride ahead of us.

As coffee time drew near, we turned left from the river toward Montélimar, the nougat capital, and visited the Arnaud Soubeyran museum and shop.

boat route.

.

The 40-kilometer afternoon ride was a beautiful reflection of the area's charm. We had scenic river curves, expansive sunflower fields, and a distinctive terracotta tone to the buildings.

We stopped at Hotel Le Manoir in Mornas and hiked to a breathtaking cliff-top fortification for the golden hour before checking in. We then walked the very short distance to dinner in the hotel restaurant.

The world-renowned village of Château-du-Pape is an ideal stopping point.

to Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

I had lunch at the Comptoir de la Mère Germaine, a more accessible outpost of the nearby Michelin-starred La Mère Germaine.

In the late afternoon, we cycled the last 20 kilometers along the river to Avignon and our last hotel, Hôtel Le Magnan. I said goodbye to my bicycle and relaxed before taking a stroll through the ancient city's streets to reflect on my accomplishments.

The 180 kilometers of cycling offered a genuine respite from my typical daily routine and allowed me to synchronize into a completely new tempo.

riverbank.

Along the entire cycling path.

While it takes approximately two weeks to cover the complete route, like many others, you can also opt for shorter sections. Even so, I thoroughly enjoyed having the opportunity to travel for miles while having only my surroundings for company, or occasionally meeting a companion for conversation.

One of the advantages and a notable outcome was the fact that I observed flora that I would not have noticed from a vehicle.

From chestnuts and almonds to vast expanses of plum and kiwi gardens, and from lavender and olive fields to the low-growing shrubs along the path, releasing the fragrances of thyme, rosemary and sariette, it suddenly felt like summer had come.

0 Komentar

Type and hit Enter to search

Close